Slip & FallThis Is What You Need to Know About Slip and Fall Liability

January 21, 20210

Getting injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property can be a very frustrating and painful experience to endure. In such a situation, several parties have the potential to be held liable for your injuries.

Here’s what you should know about slip and fall liability:

Sometimes the Property Owner is Liable, and Sometimes They’re Not

Property owners are most commonly liable for injuries related to slip and fall accidents, but that’s not always the case. In order for the property owner or another representative thereof to be held responsible for your slip and fall injuries on their premises, one of the following must be true:

  • The property owner or another representative thereof must have been the reason behind the spill, worn or torn spot, or other slippery or hazardous substance or object to be on the ground for you to trip or slip and fall.
  • The property owner or another responsible person must’ve been aware of the hazardous surface and didn’t do anything to fix it.
  • The property owner or another responsible party should’ve been aware of the hazardous surface since a “reasonable” person caring for the property would’ve found and removed or fixed it.

The last circumstance on the list is the most common, but it is a bit hazier than the first two due to the phrase, “should have known.” Common sense typically dictates the liability in these types of cases.

The judge and jury will decide whether the property owner or operator acted with care by determining whether the steps taken by the owner or operator were reasonable enough to keep the property safe.

We’re Here to Help

If you’re having trouble identifying the liable party in a slip and fall accident, our team may be able to help. We have helped many other people recover damages in slip and fall accidents, and we may be able to help you, too.

Call the Ozone Park lawyers at The Cassisi Law Firm today at 718-441-5050 to speak with an experienced attorney about your case.